Area 51. The name conjures up images of flying saucers in large military hangers, scientists performing autopsies on grey skinned aliens, and sinister Men In Black observing it all. Officially, it is designated as a classified test range and according to the Air Force Times, this range has a new name. Homey Airport. No, we’re not kidding, Homey Airport.
At this time, no one knows why the base is being called Homey Airport. However, we came up with a few ideas.
- This is the government’s typically lame attempt to be ‘hip’. So they’ll be renaming Fort Sam Houston to Fort Tupac Shakur.
- Homey is the last name of a generous party contributor and he wanted something named after him.
- This is a Public Relations move to make Area 51 seem friendlier. No more autopsies, now we have warm blueberry muffins.
- Some general in the Air Force is a fan of In Living Color.
- This is a ploy by the military to deflect attention from the secret base by giving a incredibly lame name.